On Wednesday, we took two friends for their first experience of the wonder that is the Peking Duck House in NYC. At the end of the meal, they delivered the fortune cookies, as always. The four of us each got unique fortunes, so I had only a one in four chance of getting mine. Here is what mine said:
The more you give, the more you have.
Read it carefully, it’s not the cliche that most people use, which is: The more you give, the more you get.
If you know me, then you know that I already believe and live the version that was in my fortune cookie. Why then did I get it? Obviously, to share the philosophy with the rest of you! 🙂
I know that it’s hard in these times (perhaps in all times!) to think about giving first, but giving doesn’t have to be monetary. There are other ways to be generous:
- Be kind to everyone (even rich people) 😉
- Listen as carefully as you can, to strangers as well as friends (learn how to listen if you aren’t in the habit of doing it regularly!)
- Make people laugh (it heals more ills than you would think, and has only one known side-effect, it’s infectious!)
- Share a favorite song with someone (music can come close to laughter in lifting our spirits)
- Tell an uplifting story
If you do all of the above, and more (including being generous with your money if you can afford to be), then what will you have?
- As many friends as you could ever dream of having (and good and true friends at that!)
- Peace of mind
- A lifetime of wonderful memories
- More goodies that are a secret, so you better start giving if you want to discover them! 😉
- For those of you who are only driven by greed, there is a good chance that money will come to you through all of the wonderful connections and listening that you will do (see, I’m not above bribing you to do the right thing) 😉
So, get started right away. Start giving, so that you can have infinitely more than you have today!
P.S. With this post, I am starting the giving. Tag, you’re it!