Testing 1-2-3

Send to Kindle

I’m not a happy camper. I started out with WordPress 2.05. After the first post or two (or three), I upgraded to 2.07. That upgrade went flawlessly.

This past weekend, I upgraded to WordPress 2.1. The upgrade “failed”. The previous blog posts showed up fine, but I saw a SQL error in the part that shows which categories each post is in. A little digging, and it became obvious that one of the schema changes failed. Turns out that my “user” (at the MySQL level) had insert/update/delete rights, but not alter, etc. Ugh.

Nothing I did after granting those rights made it possible to re-run the “upgrade.php” script correctly. At least not that I could tell…

After reading some forum posts, I installed phpMyAdmin, and while looking at the updated schema file, I hand-edited the DB to add the appropriate columns and one new table. It seemed to work, as the SQL error went away.

Then yesterday, I wrote another long post complaining about my saga with the old Dell laptop. When I hit save, it “appeared” to save, but the post was gone, forever… The title was there, with a blank post. Another test, and sure enough, no posts were making it to the DB.

Man, the people that “encouraged” me to start blogging owe me quite a number of hours to be added back to my life (not that I’m anything less than a world-class time-waster all on my own, but I really didn’t need any help here) 😉

So, I exported all of my previous posts (yep, all 5 of them). Today, I created a new DB, updated the wp-config.php to point to the new DB, made sure to grant my user ALL privileges on that DB, and re-ran the “wp-install.php” script. After that worked, I imported my posts, and voila, they are all back.

This post will be the “test” as to whether that solves my problem of posting in general…

Finally, while WordPress 2.1 seems to have cooler features in it, so far, in Firefox 2.0.0.1, the UI is hosed. The textarea that I am writing in spills into the sidebar on the right hand side (that worked perfectly in 2.07), and the only “fix” is to maximize the window to the entire screen (I’m running 1600×1200), which is annoying, to say the least…

P.S. No such luck. This post failed too. I have reverted back to 2.0.7. Even with a fresh install of 2.1, and no imports, I can’t post anything by a blank with a title :-(. This is a fresh install of 2.0.7, with the original posts imported, and this one as the “new” one…